Detective Mark Rubins was
sitting in the upper section of the Theater at Madison Square Garden at
about 11:30 a.m. when he heard a woman yell, “Help! Please!”
By Graham Rayman
New York Daily News
NEW YORK — Quick action by a medically trained
NYPD detective saved the life of baby boy who got popcorn stuck in his
throat Wednesday at the Police Academy graduation ceremony.
Mark Rubins, 42, was sitting in the upper rear section of the Theater
at Madison Square Garden at about 11:30 a.m. when he heard a woman yell,
“The baby was limp in her arms and his lips were blue,” Rubins said.
Rubins, a paramedic for 20 years, ran down an aisle to the mom’s side.
boy’s father, newly minted Officer Leonardo Escorcia, was on the
theater’s main level with the rest of his graduating class when he heard
from his wife that their 1-year-old son Daniel was choking.
“I started running toward her. By the time I got there, I saw Detective Rubins — he had my son on his shoulder,” Escorcia said.
“My son seemed like he was not himself. He was pale. He kept passing out by the time I got there.
“The look he was giving was not his usual look. He's usually a happy baby. When I saw him like that, I was really scared.”
Rubins said he performed CPR and quickly got the little boy to cough up the popcorn. Daniel was soon breathing normally.
started to spit up a bit, which I still have on my shoulder,” Rubins
said. “He was still lethargic, but he wasn’t blue anymore and his pulse